Connecting with the World

pix

   Once upon a time, there was a queen who always felt lonely among her friends and family. She lived with her King and two young princes in a palace far away in the wood. The Queen was always complaining about her dull life. Even though she could have everything she asked for, it didn't satisfy her. She felt empty inside, there was a hollow in her life.

   One day, the King gave her a gift that he thought would make her happy. He gave her a computer! And he introduced her to the world without boundaries, the internet! From that day onwards, the Queen was never lonely. There would always be someone to talk to, somewhere around the globe, whenever she felt like talking. 

   And so the King and the Queen and their two princes lived happily ever after.

      The story of the Queen with her computer ended happily there but mine was not. When I started 'connecting with the world', I had a very bad experience. I was hooked on the net almost 24 hours a day. Whenever I was not sleeping or work or doing anything else, you would find me glued to the PC monitor. There was always something to surf. Videos on Youtube, news and stories around the world, all kind of them. But one thing that really put a hook on me was chatting. I would sit for hours chatting with people whom I never met or would never have the chance to meet at all because they came from all over the world. 

       Sometimes in the middle of the night, I would wake up to chat. I lost track of the time when I started to chat. There were times when I chatted from midnight until dawn. I remember I heard the rooster crow at dawn. I was so addicted to chatting that if I didn't chat for a day my life would be miserable! I was an addict.

      It went on for about a year. Then, I gradually stopped. I didn't really know what caused me to stop but maybe it was the constant nags I got from Mr. Hubby. We quarreled a lot because of this. In one of our arguments, he was so angry that he smashed and stepped on my keyboard. It broke into two! I was so furious as well and gave him the silent treatment for weeks. But in the end, we made up and he bought me a new keyboard!

      How did I become hooked to chatting? My answer was very simple. I was lonely and needed someone to talk to. As I didn't go out often (at that time!), I got bored easily. Mr. Hubby was not always home. So, every time we quarreled, I would say "You were not home most of the time, so what do you expect me to do? Sit and watch TV? Eat and sleep? Do all the house chores?" (My winning point all the time!)

      That was seven years ago. I have since met a few chatters and became friends, some even became my best friends. Nowadays, I don't chat anymore. I have found a new love. I write a blog.